Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Sheaf,

I would like to write in support of the Sheaf and it's editorial staff. While I do not condone the publication of the cartoon, I feel that the editors did not condone it either. In my opinion, this year's editorial staff has done an excellent job bringing fresh, balanced and important viewpoints to the student body. I am pleased to note consistent efforts to bring new, and previously under reported, viewpoints to the paper.

I feel very strongly that the Sheaf is the target of an unfortunate campaign designed for political and commercial gain. I do not feel that it is appropriate for a radio station to raise it's commercial advertising value by spreading false information regarding a non-profit, student-run newspaper.

Given that a genuine apology has been made and well-publicized, I look forward to a strongly worded statement from the University of Saskatchewan in defense of it's institutions of public discourse, democracy and community. It is vital that we do not use this mistake as opportunity to widen the chasm of misconceptions but as an opportunity to show a common
truth: we all make mistakes.

It is my hope that the University of Saskatchewan will not make a genuine error of judgement by reducing this mistake to a matter of blame. Responsibility has been fully and readily acknowledged.

This is an opportunity to reflect on the tensions that already exist within our community and work co-operatively towards a place of better understanding.

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes".
Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for your consideration,
Olin Valby

1 Comments:

Blogger Willem said...

I agree. I've been reading the Sheaf since I moved to the city six years ago, and this has been one of the better.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home